Thursday, January 1, 2009

elegance is refusal

I deem Coco Chanel's quote "Elegance is refusal" as the theme for 2009. She said this in reference to her own resilience in life and in her business. Determined to succeed, she refused to give up on her vision and her life's passion. This philosophy can be applied to anything in your life. Business, love, travel, family, and of course fitness.

Someone asked me last week why I would not want to continue eating whatever I want, whenever I want. I replied that I prefer to enjoy the view in the mirror every time I get dressed for a night out or put a bikini on for a lounge by the pool. Discipline is an enviable skill, not a prison sentence. How would we ever get anything accomplished without it? Without drive, discipline and the grace to say no, we would not grow as individuals.

There was a book published in the 90's called Thin Tastes Better. I don't necessarily care about being thin, but rather fit. For the purpose of this, we'll say Fit Tastes Better. Out of pure desire, I want to be photo-op ready if I plan a tropical vacation with friends or have a romantic getaway. I think the key here is being ready vs. never feeling quite ready. I even read somewhere that fit people get paid more at work. It's the same idea as having an outfit pulled together or being groomed properly. It's just pure and simple self-respect.

Well, darlings, elegance truly is refusal. Refusal to get lazy. Refusal to put anything in my body that will hinder success. Refusal to be so hard on myself that I don't enjoy life. Refusal to give up.

2009 is about being the best version of yourself you can possibly be. This can be anything you want it to be. I want to see my friends more, be healthier, and smile more. And a little ego boost can't hurt either.

Ciao for now.

Happy New Year & Cheers to the best year ever!

1 comment:

  1. oh chanbody, im searching for my abdominals as well... I have a chronic cough... i actually suggest infecting yourself if you would like to feel a deep ab workout which will give you the tight burning sensation of hard worked abs each morning when you wake up :-).

    ReplyDelete